To comply with § 7-604.1 of the Public Utilities Article, Annotated Code of Maryland (PUA), the Maryland Public Service Commission is required to maintain a customer choice website and secure portal to receive information about open offers to supply natural gas from retail energy suppliers. The website must include:
(1) A list of all natural gas suppliers that have open offers to supply natural gas to residential customers in a customer’s service area, sortable by:
(i) cost of service;
(ii) cost of natural gas per therm;
(iii) rate structure;
(iv) duration of the contract;
(v) cancellation fee; and
(vi) any other aspect of service that the Commission considers necessary;
(2) a way to compare natural gas suppliers based on the sortable items specified above;
(3) a link to the website of each natural gas supplier with an open offer to supply natural gas to residential customers.
Each natural gas supplier that is actively seeking residential customers in a service territory in the state shall maintain at least one open offer to supply natural gas to residential customers on the Commission’s website at all times. Suppliers shall submit open offers to the Commission’s website according to instructions provided by the Commission. Natural gas suppliers should upload new/updated residential offers through this MD Gas Choice secure supplier portal within three (3) days of a change to an open offer.
In the event of a discrepancy between a supplier’s open offer posted on the Commission’s website and the supplier’s corresponding open offer displayed on the supplier’s website, the supplier shall honor the terms that are more favorable to the customer.
Relevant sections of COMAR (Code of Maryland Regulations):
Subtitle 54 GAS SUPPLIERS
- COMAR 20.54.01 General Provisions
- COMAR 20.54.02 Administrative Provisions
- COMAR 20.54.03 Gas Supplier License Requirements
Subtitle 59 COMPETITIVE GAS SUPPLY